
I believe that the Simpsons "Prohibition" episode was a great tool to help us understand what really went on during he 1920's. Although reading books and writing notes gives us accurate information, we cannot visualize it as we could from seeing a movie. Prior to watching The Simpsons, I believed that it would give us a few small details that involved prohibition, but I never expected to be able to use it as a learning tool! It was very helpful and it was very easy to comprehend what was going on in that time period. The accuracies clearly outweighed the fictional comedy, and most of the fictional comedy in one way or another still somewhat related to the 1920's. I enjoyed the Simpsons episod, because it was not only fun to watch, but it was a learning experience as well. I believe that the "Speakeasies" were portrayed well through the shops, the "bootleggers" were portrayed well as well, through the mafia paying off the cops. Overall, the simpsons episode was a great learning experience
In one part of the episode, I remember the FBI entering one of the bars wondering why so many people were there at the time. I believe that instead of the people hiding their beers behind their back (and making it obvious that they were drinking), they should have made it seem as though they were having tonic or moxie instead. I also believe that they should have eliminated the scene where the owner of the "speakeasy" pulls the lever and hides the bar. Even though it was for comical purposes, it is not accurate what so ever. Besides this small scene, I really enjoyed the simpsons activity.
No comments:
Post a Comment